cat

buchflimmern

Impressions from the reading life

Too Far by Rich Shapero

Too Far - Rich Shapero

This book has been on my TBR since August 2011. Although it didn't live up to my expectations, I also didn't hate it. I enjoyed the ideas and the language. Oh, and the maps. There were maps. I love maps (who doesn't?).

The premise sounded so good: Two children spend more and more time in a fantasy world in the woods, escaping their family problems. Robbie lives with his parents in Alaska, his mom seems to be depressive, and there is a tension between her and her husband. Then Robbie meets Fristeen and gets carried away by her imagination. Fristeens' mom is a drug addict desperate for someone who will love her.

Much was to be discovered between the lines, and I liked that. But the book was also a bit weird sometimes.

Robbie and Fristeen are supposed to be six year olds, but you wouldn't notice most of the time. That really bothered me.

On a personal note, I expected something else from the book, more exploration into the mothers' depression and what exactly was going on in Fristeens' house; in the end it felt undercomplex (even though the story clearly focusses on Robbies world view, which is of course limited).

I wish I could read another book with a similar premise. If you know one, please let me know. I really like the idea of escaping reality (yeah, that's why I'm a reader, I guess).