cat

buchflimmern

Impressions from the reading life

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier Mary Poppins, She Wrote: The Life of P. L. Travers - Valerie Lawson

After finishing A Tale of Two Cities yesterday, I thought I couldn't begin a new book the same day. I felt dried out and tired. Not that I disliked AToTC, but I read the last 100+ pages in one sitting just to get the book out of my way (had been on my TBR for 6 years). Maybe you know the feeling: Shattered, brain is dreary, feeling of utter incapability of anything.

What I needed was a bath to relax. The problem with me taking a bath is that I always read in the tub. Have done so for at least twelve years, and thus being unable to change my habit, I chose Rebecca to come with me.

I'm only 42 pages in, and it definitely took me some time to really concentrate on the book. But! I really enjoy it. That Van Hopper lady is entertainingly abominable, Max de Winter is melancholic, the whole story a mystery. Or at least it would be, hadn't I read so much about it beforehand (I don't know everything, but in this case, any information is acutally a spoiler in a way). I imagine it must have been quite sensational when it first came out and people really wouldn't know what to expect.

I also dipped into Mary Poppins, she wrote, the biography of P.L.Travers. It had been on my wishlist for over a year, so I checked it out of the university's library. When on GR I realized the book got very mixed reviews for very different reasons. I immediately needed to find out for myself. Apparently, the author has some very strong opinions on the Disney adaptation of Mary Poppins, which is one of my favourite films of all time (confession: I never felt the same for the books). But that aside, the first pages were totally okay and I am still looking forward to the rest of it *fingers crossed*